The Forgotten Prince, the film for boys with Omar Sy streaming on Amazon Prime Video

We met the Oscar-winning director Michel Hazanavicius and we will tell you all about the family film among the kolosal of the year in France starring an Omar Sy dad and prince.

The Forgotten Prince, the film for boys with Omar Sy streaming on Amazon Prime Video

Index
The forgotten prince, a film for families and children
Omar Sy, the daddy star
Michel Hazanavicius, our exclusive interview with the Oscar-winning director
It also comes directly on Amazon Prime Video , The Forgotten Prince , a fairytale film , in the sense that it has all the trappings of that genre so little frequented by European cinema. With a lot of princess and very Hollywood studios where a loving father moves every night, after putting his daughter to bed, to give a fairytale, adventurous dream and with him in person, rigorously, as the absolute protagonist.

The forgotten prince, a film for families and children
Omar Sy is the single dad star of this story. His name is Djibi and his 8-year-old daughter, Sofia , is all for him: his joy, the person around whom his day revolves, but above all his nights. In fact, every night they stage the ritual of the bedtime story in a very particular way. Dad Djibi takes her to his Storyland, a true and own film studio, which recalls the imagery of early Hollywood or an animated world, given that the place where their fairy tales come to life is mixed: live action and animated .

Every evening he becomes a heroic Prince Charming , until, after a few years, Sofia begins to grow older, looks almost to adolescence, and for the first time her hero is no longer the adored dad , but the classmate for whom she had a crush. That evening the Prince will be shelved, no longer the protagonist and the absolute star of Storyland. An intervention by Djibi is urgent to change things, to return to the center of his daughter's dreams and stories. To do this he will have to deal with, and then ally himself with another character from the stories, the Belgian François Damiens , a character we love madly. Speaking of love, the new neighbor of Djibi and Sofia, awkward and smiling, is the beautiful Bérénice Bejo, in the companion life of the director, Michel Hazanavicius . A well-knit couple who have already won the Oscars and Cannes for The Artist .




Omar Sy, the daddy star
It is not surprising that in recent times you often play the part of the tender dad, often single, grappling with the education of children all alone, as happened suddenly in the Family - instructions not included and, indirectly, in Yao's journey . After all, Omar Sy has passed the age of 40 , he is one of the stars of European cinema, after the success of Almost friends , and some visits to Hollywood cinema, such as Jurassic World , Inferno and X-Men Days of a past future . But above all he has five children , with whom he lives with his wife in Los Angeles, very jealous of his private life.

Michel Hazanavicius, our exclusive interview with the Oscar-winning director
We met a few weeks ago, in Paris, the director of the film, Michel Hazanavicius . Here is an excerpt from the interview.

"I have four children, a 21 year old, a 16 year old, a 11 year old boy and a 9 year old girl, I am of all ages. It is a subject that I know, I have already been through it, I spend it today and I will come back to visit still as the little ones grow up. The subject was sent to me and, of course, I accepted because the theme touched me closely, I think it was dealt with very well and then it has purely cinematographic ambitions that stimulated me a lot. On the one hand there are very intimate concerns, in the relationship between a father and a daughter, but on the other they are staged in a very spectacular and playful way. A dynamic that could have been very melancholy, like the end of childhood , when you realize that it will never be your little child again, but is counterbalanced by the very joyful aspect of the imaginary world. "

How in The Artist is a reflection on the narrative?

True, even though I was not conscious. Bérénice immediately told me, as soon as I saw a first version, that I had remade The Artist , which was the same film. The last shot is exactly the same. I had not rationalized on how similar the themes were, at the center it seems to me there is the need to believe, the openness of spirit, to accept the fantastic , the most beautiful things compared to what life has in store for us. It is very important to believe in it, I am an atheist and believing for me has no religious value, but the function seems the same to me. Even in politics, democracy is just a matter of how much we believe in it, otherwise it wouldn't work. Fight against cynicism and persistent and gratuitous irony. Today I think it is very important.

For adults then there is the problem of finding their place in an increasingly competitive society that tends to put you aside soon, there are various levels of reading for the various ages of the family members.

As in The Artist , which told a person outdated by his era who feels useless and abandoned. In this sense, the characters are close. About building a film suitable for all audiences is really difficult . I wanted to make a film that first and foremost for children , once we got it we could add a coherent stratification, step by step. When I did OSS , my espionage parodies, I realized that children from 8 years old were big fans, and I didn't expect it. It made me think a lot and in this case I started with the children, but nothing prevented me from turning to adults too.By presenting the film around France, I realized that the grandparents are very moved . It is true that the relationship between child and grandfather is the most beautiful in the world, there is only love, no desire to educate or frame the character of a child.



If I tell you that it looks a bit like a Pixar movie, how do you feel about it?

It's dangerous, because it's not a Pixar budget [ laughs ]. It's a great French film, it cost more than 20 million euros, but certainly far from Pixar's 200 million. Surely they have revolutionized the family show, you can no longer make films for children in which the parents accompany them and then they start looking around . I take it as a compliment, but then people might notice that animation is certainly not at that level, but I am convinced that we do well, especially in an area little frequented by European and French cinema.

How did you work on the technical aspect and the many special effects?

Usually there are in my films, but they are the ones that should not be seen. So I had practice, but the difficulty is to use them for an hour and a half, they had to be dosed, but I worked with very good and motivated artists, precisely because films like this are not made every day.

How did you conceive the universe of the story, of the fairy tale?

When I read the script it made me think of the headquarters of a large American studio, such as Paramount . Then we started from where we shot, from the elements present in the suburbs of Paris, then we added some funfair elements, then something that resembled the film studios, a place where stories are actually told . Djibi is then a forty year old who lives in the suburbs, so his vision is halfway between the prince and the superhero and the costumes we created them accordingly.

After several years, what impact has the victory at the Oscars had on your career?

The possibilities and temptations were essentially American, I made choices that followed my wishes. Making films in America is not the holy grail for me, which for me is the freedom I have. If I could go there to work I would love it, I love American cinema and actors, the mythology linked to that cinema, I would love to do westerns for example, but not to be unhappy for three years. I have had contacts and possible projects for my hands, but with the studios I have dealt with, times are so long to have answers that you no longer know who you are addressing. For the films I make here I make decisions in agreement with the producers, but it remains a human dynamic. Waiting for answers then I started making other films and I am very happy to work here in France, which many consider a directors' paradise.

Comments